A Note From Kim and Kyle

Thanks for visiting our wedding blog!

Between now and the big day, we (well…mostly Kim) will be posting information about the wedding and some fun info about Nashville, too. We hope you'll check back often, and we especially hope to see you in October!

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Kyle's Recap: Sydney Adventures

It has been a couple days since I have posted anything. Kim has handled the majority of it, but I felt I needed to add a bit to supplement her pictures.

Since arriving in Sydney, we have been the definition of tourists. Friday night we walked down to the harbor and had supper while overlooking the city center. We both had fresh seafood (me: barramundi fish / Kim: huge prawns) and it was delish. Being a little worn out still, we headed to bed rather early.

Saturday - We were up and at em around 6a. and decided to head out for breakfast before heading to several markets and tourist destinations. We found a small cafe for breakfast and ate (me: ham and tomato omelet / kim: hot dog croissant). We were then off to the markets. The first was something similar to a flea market (Paddy's Market) and had booths with everything from opals to womens wigs. Leaving there we headed to the old city (the rocks) to a nicer market where the general theme was arts and crafts. From here, we had amazing views of both the Sydney Harbor Bridge and the Opera house.

With our stomachs growling we hopped a ferry to Manly (30 min boat ride). On the ride over, we were awarded with beautiful views of the opera house and downtown Sydney. Arriving in Manly, I almost felt like a refugee coming to a new place for the first time (a rush of people trying to get off the boat). Following the crowd, we went down the street to the beach before backtracking for lunch. Lunch consisted of pizza slices while sitting on a concrete barrier overlooking Manly beach. Heading back into Sydney, the weather had turned a bit cooler and we took shelter inside the ferry.

Back in Sydney, we walked over for a close up view of the opera house (this thing is huge) before walking the mile and a half back to the hotel. We then rested and showered before our night out on the town. Supper was at Rockpool (upon a recommendation from Bob Schwartzman at Journal Comm.) and it was quite the experience. A four-course meal that was something similar to being a judge on Iron Chef America. I thought it was awesome and we even made friends with some people at the table next to us (Sydney locals). We talked and laughed with them for over an hour about differences between the two countries. On the cab ride back, Kim and I both commented how the husband reminded us of Patrick Gilliam. Bed time was 11p.


Sunday -
Finally slept in till 8a. and immediately headed to the Sydney fish market. This place was something I have wanted to do since I first found out that I would be in Sydney. It was everything that I had imagined - people everywhere buying fish, boats, fork lifts bringing in fish, just craziness. After exploring for about an hour, we decided to eat some breakfast at the market. Our choice - fish and chips at 9:30a. (me: snapper / Kim: barramundi). Who knew that a fried fish breakfast could be so delicious? Leaving the fish market, the feeling set in that I actually was here on work. Showered and ready, I left for the exhibition center at 10:30a. for show set up. Everything ran smoothly today and I met up with the others in my group. I have been there for about 6 hours working while Kim shopped and meandered around town.

Back in the room now getting ready to meet a group for supper in 30 min.
The show starts tomorrow and runs through Thursday, looks like the vacation is over and I must now give the taxpayers of TN their money's worth.

Later,
kh

3 comments:

Bill Newsom said...

G'Day mates!

Glad you guys are having fun. I heard that Fosters beer isn't even sold in Australia - is that true?

Take care and be careful

Anonymous said...

HA! Even hundreds of thousands of miles away, you can't get away from Patrick! I can't wait to catch up about your trip! Y'all did a great job on the blog, but I want more!!!

Anne K said...

okay, kim, i love you, and you are the "writer" of the duo, but there is something really fun about kyle's posts... namely, the meals. I love knowing you had a hot dog croissant for breakfast.